Thursday, November 24, 2011

Bird of Paradise Flower

In the spring I had taken a photo of a Bird of Paradise blooming in my friends garden, a portion of this photo is my blog header.

I had started painting this photo in July during the summer session class at the Casa de la Cultura.  The class was only for the month of July and I work slowly so did not get it finished.  I brought it home and because I was busy with some other projects it just sat on the easel.

When I finished the Hummingbird painting in class I decided to take the Bird of Paradise back to class and finish it off.  I did and have now finished it.

One more project done.

I took the photo of Zoe and this one too early in the morning and it was a little too bright yet; but was away later, so it is what it is.

Here it is, click on image to see a larger version.  Bird of Paradise done in oils on canvas.





















I have now started a new project both at class and at home.  I was going to do an oil painting of a church in a smaller town in our state of Sonora; but the best laid plans often go astray.  One day I happened to show Roy some photos of horses, that a relative had sent in an email.  He loved 2 of them and suggested that I do them in the same technique as the Hummingbird oil painting.  So...... I am now doing a head  pose at class and a full body pose at home, both in the same technique and both the same size.  It should be interesting to see what comes out of them both.  I will keep the blog updated with views as they progress.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Finishing Off Some Pieces

I finally finished off the Pastel Painting that I had started of my sisters dog Zoe.  I think she is a Golden Retriever, sorry not good with remembering dog breeds.
I have been waiting to send the Pastel painting of my daughter in laws cat Spaz to her as I wanted to stick them both together in one package.  Being busy with stuff for class and life in general Zoe seemed to keep getting put onto the back burner.
I finally got sick of her looking at me and decided to finish her and get her sent away.
For some reason I had the most trouble with her that I have had with any of the animals I have done so far.  I am not really happy with the finished results; but am sick of trying to "fix" her so off she will go in the mail.

As always just click on the picture to get a larger view.

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Hummingbird At Feeder -- Oil Painting

Well, I finally finished my project last week at class; but before I discuss it I want to give a very big thank you to    MARK BURNELL
who very graciously gave me permission to use one of his photos for the basis of my painting.  Just click on Marks name to head on over to his site and have a look at his great photos.

This is the photo that I used of Marks.
















I also hope that if / when you want to use someones photo or any other material for a painting or any other reason, that you DO ask for permission from the owner of the material, not only is it polite, it is a copyright infringement if you don't, or that is my understanding anyway.

Now about the painting.

This was a new technique for me to try and it went like this.  The base or "canvas" is of wood rather than canvas, it has 3 cm. (approx. 1 inch) deep edges which are also painted and is 50 X 60 cm. ( approx. 20 x 24 inches) in size.  It basically looks like a gallery wrap canvas.  It was then painted with a mixture of white Vinyl Acrylic paint and Resistol 2000 white glue, (a 50 - 50 mix more or less), then Aluminium foil was placed onto it, crinkling it a bit as we applied it.  On top of this I painted the picture in Oils.
It was an interesting technique and one that I will probably use again, as I like the effect.

Here is the finished painting.  As always clicking on the photo will bring it up full size.





















The class I am in just barely finished our paintings before the Festival de las Calacas and the paintings went straight from the Casa de la Cultura to the exhibition at the Plaza de las Pistolas.  After the exhibition ended, the staff from the Casa de la Cultura transported them back and I finally brought it home after class on Tuesday.
I estimate that I spent between 30 and 40 hours working on this painting from start to finish.

I am fairly pleased with the result; although I do see all the mistakes that I made when I look at it, I suppose that it is normal to be your own toughest critic.